The Fouth of July has come and gone, the MLB All Star game is past, the days are getting shorter, and the monsoon is in full swing-means Summer is half over. Probably none is too sad about that here anyway. So how is your landscape/garden? What should you be doing in your garden? Here is a report/list of things to do in the garden in the Phoenix area that might help:
- Watch for the appearance of caterpillars on tecomas (orange and yellow bells) and bougainvilleas-seen a few already. If you do get them use spinosad
- This is when we do see some fungus in lawns. be sure you’re watering in early am, not at night and dethatch if it’s been a while. also you might be able to cut back just a bit on water with high humidity and a rain or two
- late transition from winter to summer lawn. this will keep your bermudagrass from coming in very fast or maybe even at all. mow short, dethatch and fertilize.
- fertilize your lawn and late season vegetable gardens
- keep container planting fertilized regularly. frequent watering leaches nutrients away quickly
- Be sure young trees are staked properly to avoid monsoon storm damage. trees should be double staked and not tied hard and fast to a stake that is right up against the trunk.
- start prepping and thinking about your fall vegetable gardens. we’re just a few weeks away from starting to plant lots of things from seed and doing some vegetable gardening in the Phoenix area and your soil needs to be ready-
- Evaluate your landscape: How has it fared this summer, the last few? Does it need a new look or a makeover, perhaps a few plants are just old and tired? We can help. Let the Harper Boys come out and do a FREE on site evaluation of your landscape in the Phoenix area and we can come up with a plan to help you create the garden of your dreams! We can help you keep it that way as well as we are now doing maintenance of landscapes in the Phoenix and Scottsdale areas. Call or come by today!!