There is an old hymn that states “oh they tell me of an uncloudy day” when describing heaven. I don’t think that writer was from Arizona! This time of year “heaven” is a cloudy day and hopefully some precipitation. Depending on where you live you’ve gotten a little of that the last couple of nights. The NE Phoenix area (64 & Greenway) area received about 1″ of rain last night. If perchance you do get some nice rain be sure to enjoy it and then go out and turn your irrigation system off for a day or two!
- are trees trimmed properly to withstand strong winds or staked if newly planted?
- are you monitoring your irrigation? if you receive some substantial rainfall you can turn off for a day or two and if we get consistent humidity you probably can cut back from the intense watering that the 110 plus temps of last week required
- have you replaced your back up battery in your controller. if you have an outage it will keep your controller watering your plants until you can reschedule if necessary
- this is a great time to apply pre emergent herbicides again if it rains it will water it in
- also fertilize-plants especially palms, tropicals, and turf are really growing fast now so be sure to keep fed
- keep gardens weeded and mulched
- watch for all kinds of pests out now-ficus whitefly, bougainvillea caterpillar, caterpillars on tecomas, mites , grape leaf skeletonizers, and agave snout weevils lead the pack
If you have any unexpected problems or just need help getting that garden or landscape back in shape call us we can help you create or recreate the garden of your dreams!